Hair transplants are done to increase the number of hair on the area of the head where it has balding and thinning. It is done by transplanting the hair from thicker parts of the scalp or any other part of the body.
To address the problem of hair loss most of the people undergo various treatments. But this hair transplantation is the restoration method. Typically the hair transplants are more successful than other counter hair restoration products.
Mumbai is a place where you can find well equipped professional hair care centres with skilled doctors. So, hair transplant surgery in Mumbai is very common.
What is a hair transplant?
It is a procedure on which a dermatological or plastic surgeon moves the hair to a bald area that is found on your head. Usually, the surgeon moves the hair from the side or back of the head. Typically it takes place in a medical area under the control of local anaesthesia.
There are two types of hair transplants named as slit grafts and micro-grafts. Depending on the coverage required, the slit grafts have 4 to 10 hairs per graft and the micrograft has 1 to 2 hairs.
What actually happens in the process of hair transplantation?
After complete scalp clean up, the surgeon uses a small needle to numb the area of the head with the local anaesthesia. The hair transplant in Mumbai is followed by two main techniques. Those two techniques are FUT and FUE, which are used to achieve follicles for transplantation.
Follicular unit transplantation
FUT is sometimes said to be follicular unit strip surgery. The hair transplant doctors in Mumbai follow these steps to perform a FUT procedure.
- Using a scalpel, the doctor first removes a part of your scalp. Usually, they carry out this process from the back of the head. The actual size of the strip is about 6 to 10 inches long but it can be stretched from ear to ear.
- Then they close the place where the scalp was removed with stitches.
- The doctor and their assistants split the scalp strips into smaller pieces with the help of the scalpel. They may split the pieces into as many as 2000 smaller fragments and it is called as grafts.
- With the help of the needle or blade, the surgeon makes small holes in the scalp where the hair can be transplanted.
- Then into the punctured holes, the surgeon inserts the hair from the removed piece of the scalp and this particular step is called grafting.
- Then by using a bandage or gauze they cover the surgical sites.
Follicular unit extraction
These steps are carried out to perform an FUE procedure,
- First, they shave off the hair on the back of the head.
- Then the surgeon takes an individual follicle out of the scalp skin. You are able to find small marks on the place where the follicles were removed.
- The surgeon creates a small hole on the scalp and grafts hair follicles into the holes with the FUT procedure.
- Then the surgical sites are covered using the gauze or bandages.
Must-know facts about hair transplant
- The transplanted hair projects like natural hair and shed between two to four weeks of transplant. Then the roots thereafter start to sprout out naturally and continue to do it for a lifetime.
- The use of local anaesthesia makes it a pain-free procedure and after surgery, you can go home on the same day.
Discuss with your transplant surgeon or doctor before you decide to get either of the transplant procedures. Understand which procedure would suit your need and your eligibility to increase the hair quality and volume.